In 1936, the Village of Haverstraw erected a new Municipal Building on industrial land on Maple Avenue. A new Village Hall, Police Station, Quarters for the 3 Middle Street companies and space for the D.P.W. was created at this time.
As the 1950′s approached, the Municipal Building was the center of activity in the village that would easily host 20,000 people for street festivals and ball games. With the advent of radio communications, radio station 4-100 was located in #2′s quarters, and remained there until the Haverstraw Village Police consolidation in 2006. The DPW was to move to a new building in the late 1970’s and the Village was to move to the Provident Bank building at the turn of the century.
Today, the Municipal Building the the home of the Haverstraw Fire Department. Meeting rooms, offices, and space for training as well as a new Radio Room were freed up after the Village Government moved to New Main Street. The Cosgriff Hose Ladies Auxiliary, the Chiefs, and the Companies got a little extra room after a long cramped existence. Today, after dedicating the Council Rooms to all of the Past Chiefs of the Haverstraw Fire Department, all department functions are held in the ‘Shrine’.
A major renovation in 2010 in anticipation of the new 4-99 took place, and the new Rescue Hook and Ladder Rooms were expanded into the old 551 poky.
General Warren #2 Meeting Room Municipal Building 2008