One of the enduring legacies of the General Warren Emergency Company #2 is the statue of General Joseph Warren. The General, a three foot high painted plaster likeness of the great man, has occupied its place in the company history and quarters for time immemorial. The origins of the General are unknown, and his being will be forever a mystery.
In the mid 1930’s, an argument was made that the General was the only member that responded from all 3 firehouses. That argument, made by a former Chief and President who himself responded from 2 of the 3, is the most information the company has on the statue. Through the late 50’s, Smokey led the salute to the General at all company functions.
Always front and center on meeting night, the General was often stolen from his home in the meeting room and hidden away by rival companies. This often happened around Convention time and in 1954, his kidnapping and subsequent ransom was front page news in the Times. He went missing for nearly 6 months.
Brother Gordon is seen here caught flipping the bird at the kidnappers, who returned him just in time for his Birthday Party, the Centennial Dinner of the Company in Bear Mountain. Needless to say, he was returned that night safe and sound and all were able to sing happy birthday and raise a toast in his memory, in the normal course of business.
Real traditions never fade, and the General survives today. He was repaired in the late 1970’s under the watchful eye of former Captain Frank McKiernan. The rehab included a new sword, which was hand-made, and a complete paint job. The General now lives in a box that protects him from the elements.
Ex-Chief Jack Ginnity led the company in its salute to the General for many years. To hear Jack sing Happy Birthday up at the Lodge was classic, and the tradition stands. In recent years, the company has used a graven image of the General for certain events where travel is an issue, but he still comes out for all special occasions.
This is the story of the Fire Companies of the Village of Haverstraw. Throughout the early 1850’s, a number of efforts were made to fund a fire company in the Township of Haverstraw. In January of 1854 the Rescue Hook and Ladder Company was formed and sufficient funds were available to purchase a hand drawn Hook and Ladder apparatus. Rescue H&L, funded by the citizens of the Town, would respond from Liberty Street to any and all calls for assistance.
Meanwhile, another fund raising effort was made to provide a pumping engine and cisterns for the supply of water to fight fire, but the cost was prohibitive and the effort failed. As a direct result of this failure, an effort was made to form a Village whereby funding for an engine, cisterns, and a sutible engine house could be funded by taxation. This effort passed and on May 15, 1854, the new Village of Warren NY was formed, and at the same meeting, the Warren Fire Department was created. As a final step The Warren Engine Company #1 was formed and motions on the engine, cisterns, and a sutibale house were passed. On September 1st, 1854 the Village of Warren purchased from Mr. Isaiah Millburn a building at what is now the lot at 36 Middle Street, and the company occupied these rooms until 1884.
On March 3, 1857 Union Engine Company #2 was formed, and in late 1858 a contract was awarded to erect quarters for Union Engine Company #2 on Division Street.
In 1859, the Rescue H&L #1 whose debts and outlay were greater than their the subscription, were folded into the department. Rescue Hook and Ladder Co #1 and Union Engine Company #2 would share the new Firehouse on Division Street.
Union Engine #2 and Rescue H&L #1 would respond from Division Street until Lady Warren Engine was formed in 1869. The Lady Warren steamer, donated to the company in 1871, was bearing the #5 when it arrived, hence Lady Warren Engine Company #5.
The Liberty Street quarters, known as Osborns Hall, was home to both Rescue and Lady Warren in the 1870’s, both companies refusing to share quarters with Union #2 on Division Street.
In 1876 Mutual Hose Company #1 was formed and responded from Division Street with Union Engine Company #2, and were disbanded September 2, 1878.
Triumph Hose Company #2 was formed on the 25th of September 1878 and took Mutual Hose #1’s rooms and cart on Division Street until they moved to Middle Street in 1884.
In 1878, a contract was awarded for $900.00 to erect a house for Rescue H&L #1, and by 1880 a new firehouse was erected for them opposite Warren Engine #1 on the North side of Middle Street.
At meeting held March 6th, 1882 , funds were approved for a new building for Warren Engine #1. This new building was built on the west side of Rescue H&L #1 in 1883.
In 1884, Union Engine #2 was disbanded for Insubordination and it’s pumper was assigned to Warren Engine #1 . Division Street was taken over by Lady Warren Engine #5 and was known forever as Insurrection Hall. Triumph Hose #2 took over the South Side of Middle Street where they would remain for all of their history
In 1886, 37 fire hydrants were placed throughout the Village, and Hose carts were issued to the Engine Companies. Warren Engine #1 would become General Warren Hose Company #1, and responded with the old Union Engine until 1919. The Lady Warren Steamer was also retired around this time, the company moniker changed to Lady Warren Hose Company #5.
The Lady Warren Hose Company #5 occupied Division Street, then new buildings were built at 91 Broadway and then their present quarters at 88 Broadway.
On June 5th, 1895 the residents of Hahns Corners formed Relief Hose Company #3, and the Village provided quarters at the corner of Westside and Gurnee Aves. They responded from the Westside Avenue firehouse for 15 years before their quarters were completed at 11 Conklin Avenue, where they remain today.
The Triumph Hose Company #2 had been meeting in the old Middle Street quarters since Warren Engine #1 rooms were built in 1883. Their membership dwindled throughout the 90’s. and they were disbanded June 2, 1902 for non attendance.
The Cosgriff Hose Company #4 was formed in June of 1902, and was assigned the cart and quarters of old Triumph Hose #2 on the South Side of Middle Street where they remained until the Municipal building was built.
Warren Engine Company #1
May 15, 1854
South Side Middle Street
Union Engine Company #2
March 3, 1857
April 18, 1884
Rescue Hook and Ladder #1
April 18, 1859
Lady Warren Engine Co #5
June 12, 1869
Mutual Hose Co #1
December 1, 1876
September 2 1878
Triumph Hose Company #2
September 25, 1878
June 2, 1902
South Side of Middle Street
Relief Hose Company #3
June 5, 1895
Cosgriff Hose Company #4
June 2, 1902
South Side of Middle Street